Virtualization Engineer (5082)
Alexandria, VA 22314
Morton is currently seeking a Virtualization Architect in Alexandria, VA.
The Virtualization Architect is responsible for collaborating with product line engineers and architects to document and design Virtualization Enterprise Services. The architect will ensure that all designs and specifications meet customer requirements, to include functional business needs, security compliance, and availability requirements.
- The Virtualization Architect will use analyses of existing systems and customer business modeling to develop roadmaps to ensure that the virtual enterprise continues to meet customer needs over time.
- The architect develops and maintains standardized documentation of the virtual enterprise to ensure that all information is up-to-date.
- The virtualization architect is also responsible for working with engineers and vendor support to implement the architecture in both test and production environments.
- This position requires a deep knowledge of all related services and technologies, as the architect is expected to work with vendor engineering and product support to resolve engineering problems as they relate to the customer.
- The customer’ s virtualization enterprise is primarily powered by VMware technology, but is evolving to include Microsoft Hyper-V, and is moving to a cloud-based service model using multiple technologies.
- Understanding of system automation and orchestration is required, including public cloud providers such as AWS, Azure, etc. XaaS technologies, Infrastructure as Code, Software Defined Networking, and DevOPS.
- Ideal candidates will have experience with enterprise operations and system administration, and will have direct, on-keyboard experience across many technologies in both Microsoft and *nix domains, as well as knowledge of multiple programming or scripting languages.
- Most of the architecture built in this role involves technical planning and design, but candidates should have a general understanding and some experience with Enterprise Architecture frameworks such as NIST EAM, DoDAF, TOGAF, or similar.
- Provides system designs for the virtualization enterprise based on ongoing flexible customer requirements.
- Provides roadmaps of technical implementation and changes required to meet future customer business requirements.
- Provides technical policy and procedure based on approved architectures to ensure the customer' s ability to maintain the virtualization systems.
- Analyzes existing virtualization systems and provides engineering plans to align systems with approved architecture.
- Works with customer Enterprise Architecture to ensure effective integration of provided designs with overall enterprise.
- Works with engineers to implement provided system architecture design.
- Collaborates with other customer teams to integrate vendor technology and virtualization designs with existing enterprise and customer requirements.
- Works with System Engineers and Operations Staff to resolve issues arising from product defects, design problems, or other systemic support issues.
- Provides Tier 4 support to assist with problems requiring vendor engineering engagement.
- Provides briefings of architecture and design to direct management and to the customer' s leadership chains.
- Provides testbed demos and proof of concepts to the customer to ensure that designs are feasible and meet requirements.
- Ensures that design and implementation of virtualization systems meet all security compliance requirements.
- Mentors junior engineers and administrators to ensure that they can maintain appropriate skills to support implemented designs.
- System administration of both Windows and Linux servers and services.
- Experience designing and working with virtualization technology from at least version 5.5, including but not limited to:
- vSphere 6 and 6.5 experience is preferred
- Experience designing and working with enterprise automation and XaaS technologies, including but not limited to:
- VMware vRealize Automation
- VMware Orchestrator
- Software Defined Networking
- Virtualized Storage
- Experience designing and working with enterprise storage technologies, including but not limited to:
- NetApp OnTap
- VMware vSAN
- Virtualized Storage
- RAID arrays
- enterprise replication
- capacity management
- NAS/SAN protocols; iSCSI, NFS, CIFS, FC, FCoE
- Experience writing system automation scripts/applications and orchestration tools using technologies such as:
- REST APIs
- Comfort with command Windows and Linux line interfaces and shell scripting.
- Capacity and enterprise growth planning.
- DR/COOP design, plan, and strategizing.
- General understanding of enterprise directory services such as Active Directory and related technologies.
- Technical writing of operations policy and procedure.
- Understanding of common Enterprise Architecture standards and documentation.
- Understanding of common internetworking technologies and protocols, TCP/IP, OSI Models, well known services, data transports, routing protocols, SDN, VXLAN, etc.
- General knowledge of x86/64 architecture and server hardware, and the ability to work with vendors to make purchase recommendations based on customer requirements.
- High level of IT security knowledge and expertise ensuring secure design and implementation of various technologies.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical information to all levels of management.
- Ability to interface effectively and work with with all levels of federal and DoD staff and officers.
- Ability to analyze existing systems and provide documentation and recommendations for continuing service improvement.
- Ability to provide roadmaps for continuing IT service based on ongoing, up-to-date knowledge of industry trends and capabilities.
- Ability to adapt vendor architectures to improve security as required by DHS and DoD compliance mandates.
- Ability to perform duties in a secure environment without access to immediate online reference material.
- Ability to lead engineering efforts to ensure compliance with provided design.
- Willingness to help mentor junior staff to improve overall team effectiveness.
- Willingness to matrix time and effort with other enterprise teams to ensure overall customer success.
- CISSP Certification or equivalent DoD 8570.1 compliant IAT Level III certification, or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire
- 2+ years in an enterprise Operations (OPS/NOC/Watch) Support role
- 10+ years in enterprise systems engineering roles
- 5+ years’ experience specifically performing virtualization engineering
- 5 years’ experience in technical architecture roles
Preferred, not required:
- VMware VCAP-DCV certification
- RedHat RHCA/RHCE certification
- Network+, CCNA, or similar networking certification
- Microsoft MCSE certification
- NetApp, EMC, or HP 3PAR storage Certification
- Master’ s degree or higher in relevant studies
Candidates must possess an active SECRET Clearance.